d.b.d.ray

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Finally out and about... to Naniwa-Tei

I've been getting v busy at the office, and have not been able to blog, let alone come up with anything *ahem* sharp and witty ... work doesn't provide the most interesting material to write about ... even if it did, I try to impose a "no writing about work" policy - which then leaves me nothing to share!

However, the tide is turning and yesterday, I got up to something fun. Mel and I went and had Japanese at Naniwa-Tei, in Circular Quay, in the lane, just next to Herringbone. The restaurant itself it kitted out pretty sparsely, and is not flash looking, but apparently, by Foodie Mel's standards, the food was really good, compared to other Japanese she's had. As my only interaction with Japanese has been limited to Wagamama's (which probably doesn't count as real Japanese) and Masuyas (more often than not, after hours and take away), I'm not really in any position to comment on how the food actually "rates". However, I can say I really enjoyed my meal (a Japanese salmon risotto with egg - it reminded me of this soup/rice dish my mum makes), although I think our second pot of green tea smelled a bit like brussel sprouts, which was not good. The place was also filled with Japanese diners, which was also a good sign.

I spent most of the evening eyeing off everyone else's food : ) ... it ALL looked so good! I was also in awe of how much those tiny Japanese girls eat! There were a number of them having the "all you can eat" deal and seriously pigging out ... one couple had been eating for so long that the gas cylinder that was keeping their hot pot thing going ran out (ok, so maybe that wasn't entirely their fault, but it was very funny!).

Unfortunately neither of us had our cameras with us (I know!!), so there are no pics of the food. I did have my camera phone and took a pic of our dessert, which was a pancake thing filled with red bean and was in the shape of a fish. V cute. But I am having IT problems and cant se

1 Comments:

Blogger db said...

Not a problem Kate!

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just checked out their site, and it is a bit cheaper than Masuyas...its just a bit further away from my office, so it won't make my after hours dinner list! I might give it a go on a weekend though...

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home