d.b.d.ray

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"Beware of the man of one book" (Thomas Aquinas)

I was dying to do some reading on Sunday, but there wasn't anything new in the house that I actually felt like reading, and Giles recently reminded me about Basement Books in Central, so I decided to go book shopping after work this evening.

Basement Books is the literary equivalent of DFO or Birkenhead - heaps of books, including classics and relatively current releases, and all on sale. It's a book worm's nirvana!

As we had our Bookclub catch up on Saturday, I was planning on buying our next bookclub book, Love in a Cold Climate, however I couldn't find it. That's probably the one disadvantage of this place - you won't necessarily find the specific book you're after, as they have different stock coming in all the time ... but you'll always find something you'll want to read.

For example, although I couldn't find Love in a Cold Climate, I managed to leave with the following:
  1. Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes (I have been wanting to read this for ages - I started reading it on the way home, and although I dont think I'll enjoy it as much as The Devil Wears Prada, it still seems like a fun read)
  2. Perfume by Patrick Suskind (highly recommended to me by my hairdresser when I went in for a a haircut over the weekend)
  3. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (I really enjoyed About a Boy, so thought I'd give this a go)
  4. Spicery: A Cook's Guide to Culinary Spices by none other than Elizabeth & Ian Hempill, owners of Herbies at Rozelle, and mum and dad of Soph, one of our book club gals. It took me a minute to make the connection when I first saw it on the shelf, right next to Jamie Oliver's book!*
  5. The Naked Chef by Jamie Oliver*

*Although I do not cook (I can when I need to), I had to buy these two. For starters, when i do cook, I LOVE Jamie's recipes - they are usually really easy (ditto Spicery), and very yummy (although Jamie could have included more pics of the finished meals in this book).

I was going to get Enron: Smartest Guys in the Room, but the editors/publishers didn't do the book any favours when they were doing the page layout - small font, light text printing, and minimal white space on the pages. Even if it was a good read, it would have sent me blind. So that was a bit disappointing. I also thought about getting White Teeth by Zadie Smith, but I suspected it was something that I may not finish ... I wasn't particularly sold on On Beauty her recent release, which was our last book club read.

All in all, a good night of book shopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home