d.b.d.ray

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Let's Do Lunch...

As work has slowed down a bit over the last day or so, I decided I should make the most of Good Food Month's Let's Do Lunch and head off to one of the swanky restaurant's in the City for an equally swanky lunch.

I had really wanted to go to either Aria or Becasse, which are standard places we (that's the royal, "law firm" we) take our clients. Unfortunately though, Im not quite yet senior (ie important) enough to be joining clients for exy lunches on the firm...

Becasse was too far away from the office and therefore out of the question, and Aria, unfortunately has a system where they have two lunch intakes - in at 12.30 and out at 1.15 and in at 1.30 and out at 2.30. I thought this was kind of unimpressive - everyone knows that the poor folk who work in the city have standard 1-2pm lunches. Plus the 2 session thing reminded me too much of a cattle call (I am a notoriously slow eater, and the last thing I need is someone tapping me on the shoulder at 1.15 telling me I need to finish up my gourmet lunch because the next round of diners are on their way in).

So next on the list, due to proximity to work and swankiness-factor was Wildfire, which from what I've heard, is known for its seriously overpriced steak. Previous to lunch today, I'd only been to Wildfire once - for work, looking for a client (that I had never met before and so couldn't recognise), so they could execute some documents. Plenty of fun. Today's visit was far more enjoyable.

Wildfire was offering Tasmanian salmon fillet served with quandon berry, fennel casserole and almond sauce, served with Brown Brothers Sauvignon Blanc, 2002 or James Squire Pilsener and post dinner coffee. The almond sauce was pretty interesting - I've never thought about combining almonds (or any nut for that matter) with salmon...and it had slivered almonds sprinkled over the top which added a nice crunch to it...I would have taken a pic, but I felt that whipping out the camera at this place may have not looked that great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home